Fall is my favourite time of the year. Spring is also nice, it’s stretching again after a long winter’s hibernation, but there is nothing quite like fall. It’s fresh and the air smells clean and crisp and you can feel the wind in your hair. Everything is great about fall, the leaves, the weather, the back to school excitement. I even love fall colours! Brown! Diamine Ochre and Ancient Copper, Kiowa Pecan, Lie de The, Oku-Yama, Alt-Goldgrun.
You can get hot apple cider and savour every sip as the weather gets chillier. People are returning to the city after their long summer vacations and cottage stays, and everything is bustling again.
Every year, Jon and I talk about driving up to Kingston and seeing some of that fall foliage and reliving the old memories, walking by the lake, and maybe this will be the year!
Did you know? When Jon and I were in school and he was “wooing” me, he made a kite out of old shirts from both of us cut up and hand-stitched together, not following one manual of instruction on kite-building. After it was all put together, we brought it down to the lake to see it fly! Unfortunately, it was unable to take flight…
It’s back to school! I don’t know if this is early or late to be celebrating – back to school doesn’t really start until September, but I think a lot of teachers start preparations in August, classrooms and curriculum plans, and I’m sure parents are already thinking of new fall wardrobe and school supplies.
Even if you’re not going back to school, the fall is the perfect time for everyone to get a fresh start – maybe it’s because I have visions of pristine classrooms with newly waxed floors and tins of pencil crayons that are all the same size and have no missing colours.
But your fresh start could be anything, and here are some ideas:
- Get a new journal to jumpstart that journalling habit that has been gathering dust. There is nothing like cracking open a new journal, dating it, and diving in. And sometimes that new start helps you leave behind some of the maybe-guilt-and-maybe-pressure of not having done as good a job as you might have liked over the last year.
- Take a day and really clean out the garage so you can get going on whatever woodworking or car-repairing hobby you’ve been thinking of. Get a few new tools and pick out a brand new project to work on.
- Organize your office space – weed out all of the books you never plan on reading, get rid of all those scraps of paper and old receipts, and set up your office space so it’s clean and organized for your thinking and writing. If you lose motivation, just imagine how nice it will be to sit around and breath in all the organized air.
- Give the dog a bath.
- Clean out your kitchen pantry of old spices and things you are never going to eat. Finding out just what you have in your cupboards might help inspire you to try some new recipes. Fall is the perfect time to try baking some bread (or so I keep telling myself).
Even though January 1st is the standard day for new year’s resolutions, I think fall is a good time to prepare your space and your mind for a new start.
And to celebrate all this fresh starting, we’re having a giveaway!
It’s a back to school themed giveaway, but it’s just a little something to celebrate the fall. I hope you can put it to good use journalling, taking notes, in your (newly cleaned) office, or to keep track of new recipes or projects 🙂
For this giveaway, we’re including:
- Coach House Press Softcover Notebook in Brown ($12.50)
- Leuchtturm A5 Hardcover Notebook, ruled, in Black ($21.20)
- Lamy Safari Fountain Pen in Neon Lime, F nib ($33.00)
- A package of Lamy Blue Cartridges ($4.75)
- A package of Midori D-Clips, Large, Zoo ($9.50)
You know we love hearing from you all, and we’ve received so much wonderful feedback about how it would be amazing for us to open these giveaways internationally. We know it’s been a bit of a bummer for a lot of you folks who don’t live in Canada but follow along with the blog or on other social media, and so, while we’ve held out for two years, we’re finally breaking open the chains.
- To enter, leave a comment on this blog post saying what this fall will be like for you or any fresh start ideas or just saying hello.
- Contest closes Wednesday, August 19th, 2015 at 11:59 EST. Winner be selected randomly, and will be announced on the blog August 20th, 2015. Winner will have until Saturday, August 22nd to contact us.
- Contest is open internationally.
- Sorry, no substitutions or changes.